27 Apr 2016

Jeweled gun of Sultan Mahmud I, dated 1732-1733

The jeweled gun of Sultan Mahmud I, dated 1732-1733, hand crafted by the Armenian master jeweler Hovhannes Agha Düz (Յովհաննէս Աղա Դուզ [Դուզեան / Տյուզեան գերդաստան]). 
Art Museum in San Francisco, CA.

Jeweled Gun of Sultan Mahmud I
Jeweled Gun of Sultan Mahmud I

Referencing the elite pastimes of hunting and writing, this ceremonial jeweled musket set includes a dagger, pen box, penholder with reed pen, penknife, a cleaner, and a spoon - all conveniently housed within the butt and breech of the musket.




Pen Box from the Gun Set of Mahmud I

This pen box has an ink container in the end that opens. This object holds a pen holder, a knife and fits into the butt of a musket.

The dagger fits inside a compartment in the butt of the musket.

Dagger from the Gun Set of Mahmud I.


Spoon from the Gun Set of Mahmud I

Cleaner for Flash Pan and Lock from the Gun Set of Mahmud I


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...